Saturday, October 8, 2011

Life goes on.........

My parents wedding photo. They have been married 64 years.
Dad is 85 and mom is 82 now. Both of them have been blessed with good health for the majority of their lives. When dad was 70 he was diagnosed with diabetes. He has done very well considering and luckily not suffered any major problems like blindness, comas or amputations and things that come with that disease. However, he was diagnosed with a slow growing prostate cancer a year ago, that has now turned into a fast growing lymphoma, which has presented itself in his leg in a huge mass of infection that had to be removed and is currently a huge open wound.  He is now and  has been for three months in the SST rehab center. The good news is, this fast growing lymphoma is easy to kill and his leg is healing, but very slowly due to his diabetes. Then, a few weeks ago my mother was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. We were all very surprised by this because she has no tremors. Apparently not everyone with Parkinson's has tremors. That was a surprise! We are grateful in that regard! Her doctor immediately put her on some meds  that have improved her mobility, thought processes and coordination immensely! We had taken her to a physician who told  us she had dementia and gave us pills and sent us on our way, but we werent satisfied with his diagnosis as it didnt fit her symptoms. We took her to a couple more physicians and we are so grateful that we did! Oprah has said many times that we should get at least three opinions if we have a serious medical condition. I totally agree!!! It makes me sick to think what would have happened to my mom had we not done so! Anyhow, I decided to blog about this because Ive been so wrapped up in caring for my parents lately and I looked at this photo this morning and the reality of what happens in life hit me hard. Getting old is freaking scarey!!!!!!  I need to enjoy my health and be happy with my age compared to theirs as much as I can! Life is so short, and I need to make the most of it every single day! I need to do what I can to be healthy as long as I possible can! Im sure when my parents posed for this photo they never even imagined what was headed their way,  just like the rest of us. So now thanks to them, Im uncomfortably aware and Im going to appreciate where I am in my life and my good health...... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment